Prepare and Let Go


"A person's heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9 (CSB)

Can you ever truly be prepared for something? Obviously, you can take steps to prepare by educating yourself, training, and setting forth simple goals to be as prepared as you can be. You can feel prepared as you embark on the very thing you've trained for, but I'm not sure you ever truly are prepared. When the challenge is facing you head on, there are always changing factors that can affect your reaction and, ultimately, your outcome.

I have been preparing for my four-person relay race coming up in November. I have educated myself on what the course looks like, although, I still have to study the map to know where my leg of the race begins and ends. I have talked with the other teammates who have run this race before and asked them my questions. I know how timing works. I know there is a van that will transport me to my starting point. I know there will be aid stations. I know the organization we are fundraising for will even have their own food tent.  

I have been targeting my training. Since my average runs are in the three-mile range, I have been increasing the mileage on some of my run days, so I am more prepared to handle the five miles on race day. I have been going back and forth between running the full miles and doing run/walk intervals to determine which style I prefer. I have been intentional in checking how I feel after each run. Am I thirsty? Do I feel overly tired? Do my feet, knees and hips have any pain? I met up with the other three members of the team for a run and that actually went okay. I had anxiety ahead of time for no reason. (see "Take the Next Step", 08/23/26)  

I am making preparations, but I don't know what race day will really be like. How will I feel when I wake up that morning? What will the weather be? I am used to running first thing after I wake up on an empty stomach so how will it be different setting out for my miles at 10:30 a.m. versus 5:30 a.m.?  I will need to eat something by that time of morning, but I don't want to eat too much. I will need to hydrate but liquid sloshing around in your stomach as you run is not the greatest feeling so I can't drink too much. Will the waiting around cause me to feel extra anxious, or will adrenaline kick in and actually work to my advantage? 

While I feel like I have been preparing, at some point, I need to release control and have faith. Faith, knowing that I have run in different types of weather. I will look at the forecast on race day and gather what I think I might need. Faith that I will know how to "fuel" my body for the miles I need to complete. Faith that I have put in time and effort so my body will automatically do what it needs to do. Faith that I am as prepared as I can be. I will release control, believing that God will give me strength and protection and have faith that I am pleased with the outcome. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of the End?

Take the First Step

My Thoughts on Being a Mom