Take the First Step

I had my response typed out, ready to hit "send," but instead I sat there with a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I really want to say "yes," but I'm also scared so maybe I should say "no?" Back and forth, yes and no battled in my head.  Finally, I said to myself, "Take the first step, make a decision, and you will feel better either way." I locked in my "yes" response and sent it.

I have been asked for the past two years whether I would like to participate in a 4-person relay run to raise money to dig wells so villages in countries such as Uganda, Guatemala and South Asia could have clean water closer to home. I declined both years but now I was being asked again, for the third year in a row. Like I stated previously, I really wanted to say yes but I was scared.  The leg of my race would be five miles. I wasn't afraid that I could complete the distance. My hesitancy came from a place of a real fear of being the last person to cross the finish line.  To add to this fear, I learned that I would be assigned to the fourth leg on our 4-person team which makes that fear a very real possibility. I was right, though, as soon as I hit "send," the sick feeling in my stomach went away.

I'm thinking of other important first steps from examples in the bible. Imagine how the Israelites felt stepping into the Red Sea, feeling their sandals get wet until the waters departed like walls to the right and the left. (Exodus 14:21-23) If the woman who had been bleeding for 12 years didn't take her first step toward touching the end of Jesus' robe, she may have never been healed. (Luke 8:43-48) David was confident that God was with him when he took his first step toward Goliath. God, indeed, was with him and gave David the victory. (1 Samuel 17:45-51) Peter took his first step out of the boat and momentarily walked on the Sea of Galilee toward Jesus. It was only when he took his eyes off Jesus that he began to sink. (Matthew 14:29-32)

God does not want us to be afraid. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don't let your heart be troubled or fearful." John 14:27 (CSB) He begs us to take that first step toward Him and then He promises to never leave us. "...I will never leave you or abandon you. Therefore, we may boldly say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?'" Hebrews 13:5-6 (CSB) When I think about race day, do I still feel anxious? Yes! Then I remember I am running to raise money for a great cause; I now have a purpose to my runs and God is with me every step of the way! 


Comments

  1. This is another honest reflection. Great job 💙

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of the End?

Sacrifice

As We Wait