Be Still


Thursday, I stepped out my side door to wait for "J." She normally meets me at 5:30 a.m. and the current time was 5:27 a.m. I looked down the street and saw no signs of her. I pulled my phone from my pocket to read this text, "Head my way. I went to the couch to sleep and never brought my phone down. 😭I just woke up." I replied, "okay" and headed her way. As I began to run, I felt a heaviness in the pit of my stomach. Is this anxiety? I have had this feeling at other times, but I can't pinpoint exactly what the feeling is and why it randomly shows up. My breathing felt labored and I told myself to "calm down," "slow your breathing," "take it easy." Before I knew it, I was falling. I guess I didn't pick up my feet enough and tripped on the sidewalk. As I was going down, I had flashbacks from January when I fell and broke my hand, resulting in a cast and a six-week break from running. Thankfully, this fall only resulted in a bloody scrape on my elbow and knee. 

During Saturday's run, I began to have this same feeling. I decided to make myself run a mile and then I would walk the rest.  If there is a reason for feeling this way, I was asking God to make it known to me. I was questioning how long it would last this time. As I was walking, I looked up at the changing sky, admiring the beautiful color combinations when these words came to me:

I don't know why I feel this way. 
Nothing has changed since yesterday 
but my heart feels heavy and my mind is worried, 
constantly moving in a world that's hurried. 
I need some quiet. I just need to be still 
and know You are God then my heart will be filled 
with peace, joy, love, and understanding. 
Not just knowledge of a God who's never demanding 
but a relationship with a Father who loves me more 
that He even gave up His Son because I was worth dying for.

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10 (NIV) I need to take time to be still and let God be God. I need to let Him calm my anxious thoughts, knowing this feeling will pass. I need to be open to what He wants to speak to me and, maybe, pick up my feet in the meantime!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of the End?

Take the First Step

Sacrifice