Do You Believe in Jesus?
Has anyone ever told you that God loves you? Well, He really does! What emotions does that bring up inside of you? What questions do you start to ponder when you hear that there is a Creator who made you and loves you? Do you even believe such a Creator exists? One who was, who is, and forever more will be.
I was reminded this week how quickly life as we know it can change. How one report from the doctor can turn your entire world upside down. How one unwise decision can change the trajectory of your life path for years to come. How one time of taking the easy way out can actually, over time, make your life harder. How, in an instant, it can end unexpectedly. Someone that is technically not family but has become like family for the past 23 years has been told they only have months to live. My heart was immediately heavy and convicted. Have I ever talked to this person about Jesus?
My thoughts led to others that I come in contact with on a regular basis. Sure, they may know that I go to church. When we talk, they may get the feel for the "morals" that I try to live by. They may think of me as a "good person," someone who tries to be kind and compassionate to others. The MOST important thing I want people to know about me, though, is that it's all because of Jesus. I don't live the way I do because I am a naturally "good" human being. I want them to know why there is a purpose for them being here and that there is hope beyond this life.
I think we tend to hold back because we don't want to offend or we feel it is too much responsibility to try to change one person's entire way of thinking. I think all too often Christ-followers present too much information to those who don't even confess to believe in Jesus. When in reality, it's simple, and we can begin with one question "Do you believe in Jesus?" We can go from there. We don't need to list the number of things we think they should or should not be doing. Once they believe and as they begin to search scripture for themselves, not commentary or opinions of others on select verses taken out of context, it is the Holy Spirit who will begin to convict them of the things in their lives that may need to change.
In Matthew 22, the question was asked about what the greatest commandment is. Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." Matthew 22:37 (NIV) He continues to say in verse 39, "And the second is like it; 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" It starts with us. We need to make sure that our heart, soul and mind are in line with God. We need to make sure we consider others before ourselves. Then it can start with a conversation and a question. "God loves you. Do you believe in Jesus?" Let me know if you want to continue the conversation.

Amen!
ReplyDelete